Start a new topic
Planned

Budgets can't monitor income categories?

i would like my budget to monitor income categories to. For example, someone might give me £100 towards my rent one month. How should I go about adding that money to the budget?

19 people like this idea

Implementing that would be fantastic!!! I would pay extra just for that.

2 people like this

Lee,

I've noted your feature request! What you can do in the meantime is to use refund feature to refund your rent expense. The only downside is that you can only refund an expense that has been already placed.

Just find the original expense transaction in the Account register, tap on it to expand it and then select Options -> Refund.

It will look like you're adding a new transaction. You can modify the target Account, Categories (if applicable), amount, date, etc. If you were refunded in full, just leave the amount as it is. Otherwise, modify the amount there.

Save the refund and MoneyWiz will take it into account when calculating your budget allowance as well as when generating reports :)

1 person likes this

Can I give another vote for this feature? This is one of the main things missing in MoneyWiz. :-)

3 people like this
I can only but join Lee, Dre Pizza and Andre Durudas on this feature request.
This indeed is currently the only option I am missing in this amazing app which is really a feature that would complete my transactional needs.

2 people like this
Another quick thought on this: wouldn't it be a "simple" way to allow selecting an income-category (or multiple) for Budgets like we can choose a category for expenses? It simply could be an additional dropdown-menu such as the expense-categories in the budget-options. Due to the currently seperated way of treating income and expense, this would allow defining which income will raise the budget without being forced to adjust the budget height itself.

The refunding option is a known way to handle such "raises of budgets" currently but it can definitely be problematic if the income is not directly connected to an expense...

Regards,
Chris

2 people like this

Allowing the tracking of income in budgets (and also in reports which currently only allow tracking either income or expenses) would be very useful. As others have said, the workaround is quite clumsy and doesn't work when there isn't a single connected expense.

1 person likes this

Please please please add this!!!

I can't believe its not in it already. Budgets need to be able to take into account the overall picture. I received a lot of money in December but my budgets fail to show that, so it seems as if I am going over my budget in every single category, due to increased spending. 

3 people like this

I had thought about moving from YNAB to MW. But the lack of this essential feature has made the decision not to move. Maybe I'll look again when it is implemented.

1 person likes this

I need this too...

1 person likes this
I agree this is an important feature! Hopefully implemented very soon!

1 person likes this

+1 for this feature request

1 person likes this

This is a key feature really, or it is to ex ynab folk. We are used to savings being cash that is available to budget so in ynab our savings are allocated specific jobs (every dollar a job).

2 people like this

Please look at implementing this for version 2.4 or even 2.5 guys! A lot of people want this feature!

1 person likes this

Have been testing out MW but cannot live with no income categories. I have been used to those in ynab and indeed other alternatives such as Good Budget have them.

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment