Start a new topic
Solved

Currency exchange rates for users in Asia, Mexico, Russia

Dear customers,

For those of you that are currently in Asia (the entire continent) you may have already noticed that the currency exchange rates are not available.

MoneyWiz (all versions) downloads exchange rates automatically using Yahoo Finance. However for the past several hours the service has been completely inaccessible for customers in Asia. This issue may result in wrong Net worth, wrong budget calculations and wrong reports. As soon as the service is restored, these calculations will correct themselves automatically, no update needed.

We have sent a request to ask for a time line when the issue will be resolved, but we have no answer yet. Additionally, we are constantly checking if the issue is resolved. We will post updates here in this thread as soon as new information arrives.

This is NOT an issue for all customers in Europe, the Americas, Africa or Australia.

A possible workaround

If you have access to a VPN network and can re-route your entire internet traffic through any country in Europe or the United States, the issue will be solved.

To test if the service has been restored on your own, you can try loading this URL in a web browser: 

http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=EUR=X&f=sl1d1t1ba&e=.csv

When the service works correctly, this downloads a CSV file containing the exchange rate between USD and EUR.

When the service doesn't work correctly, you will see an error 400 Bad Request.

I've opened a StackOverflow thread here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31928726/yahoo-finance-api-error-400-in-asia

It seems other developers have the same problem right now.

Not sure how long this issue will persist. You might want to consider allowing user the option to input the exchange rate manually. Not ideal, but in circumstances like this which is beyond your control, it still make the software usable.

Agreed, but that would require change in the data format which is risky for a quick fix. If Yahoo doesn't fix it by the end of the week, we're changing providers next week and will submit an update.

Frankly, I can't believe Yahoo hasn't even acknowledged the issue yet, let alone fixed it... 

The issue seems resolved now! :) 

Unfortunately now the issue is present in the region of Mexico. 

Seems fixed now.

Unfortunately the issue is now happening for customers in the regions of the Russian Federation. 

Not sure if it is related. But the expense amount in Dashboard and Budget is not working.

Hi Christopher,

On which platform is that (iOS, Mac, Android)? And what do you mean by not working?

IOS. The Expenses this Month data under Statistics in Dashboard is incorrect.  The Total Used Under budget is also incorrect.

Problem persist even after deleting app and reinstalling and resync with sync bit.

Hi Chris,

Do you think you are affected by the bug with Yahoo Finance not providing exchange rates for people located in some countries? Currently the issue seems to exist in Russia and parts of Asia. If you have multiple currencies that could be the problem. If not, it could be something else, in which case it's best to e-mail our support at hello@moneywizapp.com to help with further investigations and a fix.

Hi, I'm not sure if here is the right place to ask this but if not, please, forgive me and move to the right place. I' like to know how MW calculates a cash flow involving multiple currencies? Does MW uses the rate of each transaction or it uses the latest rate available for all transactions? Is there any report which calculates the impact of currency variation over a given asset during a given period? Thank you, Alex

Hi Alexandre,

I can confirm that MoneyWiz does calculate cash flow even if you have accounts in different currencies. When doing so though it uses the current rate, not the one at the time when the transaction was made, so there could be some margin of error in the calculation. 

As for report that estimates impact of currency variation - unfortunately there is no such report for now.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Login or Signup to post a comment