Start a new topic
Implemented

Feedback request: Changing the placement of currency signs

Hello everyone,

One of the feature requests we receive is to change the placement of the currency signs. For example, currently we display an amount in US Dollars as "5.00 $" - this is incorrect and we should display it as "$5.00". We are working on an update that will address this and we'd like to hear your feedback on it (please note that it does not apply to showing currency codes - those are always displayed at the end of the amount ("5.00 USD")).

The rule we are implementing is as follows: if the currency sign has 1 character, we display it before the amount. If the code has more than 1 character, we display it after the amount (like now). Please review the following screenshot for an overview of the changes:

Notice how the position of $, £ and € changed after the update but the signs for Polish Zloty and Danish Krone did not change because their currency signs are longer than 1 character.

This update involves another important change. Some countries, such as Canada for example, use Canadian Dollars (CAD) but the symbol they use is $ - just like US Dollars, Australian Dollars, etc. Up until now, we displayed those currency signs as C$ for Canadian Dollar, A$ for Australian Dollar and so on.

We are changing this so that all dollar-based currencies display only the dollar sign now from now on. Otherwise, this update would not benefit the residents of those countries ("C$" is longer than 1 character, therefore according to our rule it would be placed behind the amount).

Most customers probably won't mind this change but those that have accounts in multiple currencies might - hence our request for feedback before the update rolls out. Please review the screenshot below for a possible scenario:

Notice how if you have accounts in currencies like US, Canadian and Australian dollars, it is not easy to distinguish between them if you have set MoneyWiz to display currency signs instead of currency codes.

If you can distinguish them by the account icons or account names, this probably won't be an issue. Alternatively you can set MoneyWiz to display currency codes instead of currency signs.

The questions we have for you are:

1. Would you be excited to see this feature in MoneyWiz?
  2. Do you have accounts in "different dollars" such as US and Canadian? Would you be OK with the possible limitation explained above?

2 people like this idea

I found it extremely annoying that the $ sign appears after the amount. Will be glad if the changes are implemented.

Your rule doesn't work for all currencies. Eg. Malaysian Ringgit (RM) should be placed before the currency, not after. ie. RM50.01, not 50.01RM. I think same goes for Indonesian Rupiah (Rp100, etc.). Haven't thought of more yet.

Furthermore, I think removing the currency symbol letters is a bad idea as it would lead to potentially disastrous confusion & mistakes by users. In fact, I'd go so far as to propose that the USD symbol should be US$ rather than $ anyway.

@bcarpenter thanks for the feedback. We would have to start tracking exceptions. I'm adding these 2 currencies to the list. 

Additionally, we will not remove the option to show the ISO 4217 currency code - it will also remain the default option. 

In any case, the currency symbols are preferred by customers with casual international finances, while the code is preferred among customers who have a lot of multi-currency operations (and would prefer to avoid the confusion with symbols)

True. I personally prefer the currency codes, so understand what you're saying.

At the moment for New Zealand it shows NZ$ after the amount, it should be $1.00, please tell me you are not going to leave it as 1.00NZ$ as this looks terrible

Hi Rory,

In the next iOS/Mac update (2.2) it will be like you suggest (i.e. $1.00). We've already implemented this. This update will be released within a month from now.

Thanks great news

Please note Rory (and everyone else monitoring this ticket): you might need to adjust your Currency display settings after the update is released to see the changes. We are not removing the ability to display currency codes (USD, GBP) so if you are currently seeing the currencies like this, you'll need to go to MoneyWiz's Settings -> Currencies -> and set it to display currency signs.

At the moment I have show the currency sign set and I get 110.00NZ$. I would want to see $110.00 Rory

Hi Rory,

This is exactly how it will be after we release 2.2 for iOS/Mac. Android will catch up on this feature a bit later.

I prefer this new way, will it change for foreign currencies like Saudi Riyals? I don't like that it shows the currency in Arabic and to the left of the amount.

1 person likes this

I agree with the above post. I also don't like that UAE dirhams are denoted in arabic. It is better if you put AED to the right of the amount. AED is more common than د sign.

And I would also like to suggest to change the sign of Kazakhstan Tenge from KZT to тг . This is the way it is used in Kazakhstan. I see that you use сом for KGS (Kyrgyzstan Som). The same thing should be for Kazakhstan tenge.

And if you happen to leave د sign for UAE dirhams, then at least move to the right of the amount

Login or Signup to post a comment