Start a new topic

MoneyWiz acquires Squirrel

In February 2017 MoneyWiz has acquired Squirrel for Mac.

If you are a Squirrel user, you may find the below information useful.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO SQUIRREL?

We'll soon stop supporting, updating and selling Squirrel so we advise all Squirrel users to migrate to MoneyWiz as soon as possible.

HOW DO I MIGRATE TO MONEYWIZ?

We've released an update (version 1.0) of Squirrel that includes SYNCbits integration. Once you start Squirrel you will notice the "Migrate to MoneyWiz" button, as shown here:

Just click that button and follow the steps to create a SYNCbits account. SYNCbits is a cloud sync platform that MoneyWiz uses to synchronize between all devices where you have MoneyWiz installed.

Once you create your SYNCbits account, all your accounts, transactions, categories, tags and scheduled transactions will be uploaded and migrated to MoneyWiz format. 

Please beware of some limitations of the migration:

• Budgets won't be migrated due to the nature of how budgets work in Squirrel vs how they work in MoneyWiz
  • Scheduled transactions that are not with static amount will be migrated with amount 0
  • Refunds will be migrated as incomes, you can convert them to refunds in MoneyWiz if you need to

HOW IS MONEYWIZ BETTER?

MoneyWiz offers over 400 features and is available as a native app for all major platforms - Mac, iOS, Windows PC and Android. On top of it all, MoneyWiz can optionally (if you want to) connect to your bank and download & categories transactions automatically. You can explore more about the MoneyWiz features here:

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?

MoneyWiz is subscription based. One subscription allows you to download and use MoneyWiz on all of your devices and enables all features. Also all updates, including major updates are free.

The subscription costs $5.99 per month or $59.99 per year (USD)

All Squirrel users will get the first month completely free, no need to enter credit card details. Just sign up for a SYNCbits account from Squirrel and once you log into it in MoneyWiz, it will recognize that you're coming from Squirrel and will give you 1 month free. Once that trial period is over you can subscribe via MoneyWiz for Mac with 20% discount from the above prices. To take use of that discount you must either subscribe to MoneyWiz via the link provided in Squirrel or after you've created a SYNCbits account in Squirrel and you logged into it via MoneyWiz for Mac (downloaded from our website).

HOW DO I DOWNLOAD MONEYWIZ ON OTHER DEVICES?

Please, use these download links:

MoneyWiz for Mac

MoneyWiz for iOS

MoneyWiz for Windows PC

MoneyWiz for Android

It is essential that you log into your SYNCbits account, so that MoneyWiz will unlock itself. Also once you are ready to subscribe, please do so via MoneyWiz for Mac so that you take advantage of the 20% discount.

I HAVE A QUESTION THAT IS NOT LISTED HERE, WHAT SOULD I DO?

Please either post here in this forum (as a reply to this topic) or e-mail our support team at hello@moneywizapp.com

Hello,

Thanks for your proposal and efforts.

I worked the same way as BlueWhite4 as regards reconciliations and projections in Squirrel, but managed easily to replicate the functionality in MoneyWiz (Through expense/revenue "suspension" or reconnciliation mode...)

I have nevertheless not yet been able to replicate the Squirrel report that provides 2 pies with expenses and revenues that are "merged".

Categories that have both expenses and revenues in the report period are netted and only the result remains in Revenue or Expenses.

In MoneyWiz you can generate a Revenue report, an Expense report but not both at the same time with the" netting" function.

Am I missing something or should it be part of "Features requests"?

Thx

Laurent

Wow Iliya, what a condescending and passive aggressive answer. Definitely cements the idea that I want nothing to do with your product.

Just FYI, I spent an hour trying to work with your reconciliation mode. More than enough time to try to understand what should be a basic function. And an incredibly poorly documented one as well. It does exactly what I said it does. It forces me to put a date range at the top. That doesn't work for me. I need to see all transactions that have not been reconciled.

@Laurent, 

In MoneyWiz expense & income categories are two different sets of categories (unlike Squirrel where it's 1 set). For that reason, migrating from Squirrel creates the same set of categories for expenses and for incomes, although that's not the intended use of MoneyWiz. I understand how such a report might seem relevant coming from Squirrel but unfortunately it's not available simply because the categories are not supposed to be the same in the first place.

Now, that doesn't mean though, that you can't extract this data...

The way netting works in MoneyWiz is that it assumes that when you make a refund or receive a reimbursement (the scenarios in which you really do get an income on an expense category), MoneyWiz will net this in the expense categories report. So let me give 2 examples that will result in such netting:

Example 1:

1. Let's say you drive personal car for work and your employer reimburses you $100 per month for gas

2. You create expense transaction in the same category (Gas), with the amount of the reimbursement, but with minus sign 

3. The result is that if you run a report by the Gas category you will get the netted amount (for example if you spent $150 on gas, you will see expense of $50 because you were reimbursed $100)

Example 2:

1. You buy Groceries for $50

2. You return one item (or all) and get refund for say $10. To do that in MoneyWiz, select the original expense you've made, and then the Options button -> Refund

3. Once you enter the refund, future reports for Groceries will net that amount... so if you run a report, these 2 transactions (expense $50, refund $10, both in the Groceries category) will result in $40 total value.

I hope that makes sense.

Hello Iliya,

It perfectly does - I will update my database accordingly

Many thanks for your help.

Laurent

Can you please remove the banner from the top of Squirrel.

I don't plan on migrating. I bought the software almost 6 years ago. I don't care that it is no longer supported, it was barely supported as it was.

But now everyone that paid money for their app is stuck with a migration message, leaving us with a defaced piece of software.

Hey Nate,

Thanks for the feedback. We'll figure out how to make it properly so that we still ask people to migrate but do it less intrusively perhaps.

I second Nate's request for an ability to remove the upgrade banner. I tried MoneyWiz but for my use it is inferior to Squirrel so I'm happy to keep using that. I don't see why I shouldn't be able to dismiss the banner now.

Thanks Stijn, noted.

May I ask what in MoneyWiz doesn't work well for you? I am only asking as this may provide valuable insight into how to improve MoneyWiz.

Thanks.

Of course - in short, it's a lot of small things that together make me prefer Squirrel. Some things that stood out to me:

- I really liked how Squirrel had the "edit transaction" dialog besides the transaction list, rather than as a separate popup window - made it a lot easier to edit many transactions sequentially. 

- I also appreciated its ability to edit data for multiple transactions at once.

- Squirrel is just faster, there are small delays here and there in MoneyWiz that become frustrating quite quickly when you have a lot of transactions to edit. Filtering is also far faster in Squirrel than it is in MoneyWiz.

- No autocomplete for tags in MoneyWiz. Categories are listed in an order I haven't been able to decypher (based on how often they are used maybe?) but I have quite a few and listing them alphabetically would make them a lot easier to use.

- Individual accounts can't be hidden.

- I don't see the benefit of explicitly distinguishing between expenses/income/transfers, and prefer working with more general "transactions".

- I'm a big user of Squirrel's "smart folders" that are easily accessible via the sidebar and haven't found a way to make similar overviews as easily in MoneyWiz.

- A lot of the things MoneyWiz adds are unnecessary for me, e.g. category symbols, the list overview (as alternative to the transactions table), account groups or automatic bank import (my bank is too obscure to be supported). Obviously I can just not use those but they're still part of the menus etc so to some extent they're always "in the way" - plus I'd still be paying for them.

- MoneyWiz looks a little clunky, with fuzzy fonts, unnecessarily large text, visual clutter like the huge sync account info box displayed top left, and an ideosyncratic design language that doesn't look that great on my Mac. Squirrel on the other hand just looks really nice.

None of these would necessarily be deal-breakers on their own - I'm more than willing to overlook the fact that I prefer Squirrel's design, for example, if MoneyWiz had some killer features. But taken together the balance is firmly in the favour of Squirrel, of which I also already own a license - the only thing I would really be paying for when upgrading is guaranteed updates, but Squirrel at this point still works well enough that I don't find that compelling enough on its own.

Hi Stijn,

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Here are my comments:

"I really liked how Squirrel had the "edit transaction" dialog besides the transaction list, rather than as a separate popup window - made it a lot easier to edit many transactions sequentially. "

-- Noted.

"I also appreciated its ability to edit data for multiple transactions at once."

-- You can do that with MoneyWiz too. Switch to spreadsheet view (the 2 small buttons near the search bar switch between list view and spreadsheet view) and in spreadsheet view you can bulk edit transactions.

"Squirrel is just faster, there are small delays here and there in MoneyWiz that become frustrating quite quickly when you have a lot of transactions to edit. Filtering is also far faster in Squirrel than it is in MoneyWiz."

-- MoneyWiz 3 will have significant performance improvements...just saying.

"No autocomplete for tags in MoneyWiz. Categories are listed in an order I haven't been able to decypher (based on how often they are used maybe?) but I have quite a few and listing them alphabetically would make them a lot easier to use."

-- You can order the categories in any order you want by going to Settings / Categories and just re-ordering them via drag&drop. Auto-complete for tags - indeed, there is currently no auto complete for tags...there is for description, payee and category though and it will fill in the tags too. It's just a little different workflow.

"Individual accounts can't be hidden."

-- Here is one workaround - create an account group called "Closed" or "Hidden" and put such accounts in it, and just keep the group closed/collapsed so it won't take screen space. We plan to add native feature to "Close" account without losing its history though but that won't come before MoneyWiz 3.

"I don't see the benefit of explicitly distinguishing between expenses/income/transfers, and prefer working with more general "transactions".

-- MoneyWiz is a professional grade finance software, so unfortunately I can't help you with that one. Professional grade finance software must distinguish between transaction types for various reasons such as reporting to tax agency or tax professionals.

"I'm a big user of Squirrel's "smart folders" that are easily accessible via the sidebar and haven't found a way to make similar overviews as easily in MoneyWiz."

-- Noted.

"A lot of the things MoneyWiz adds are unnecessary for me, e.g. category symbols, the list overview (as alternative to the transactions table), account groups or automatic bank import (my bank is too obscure to be supported). Obviously I can just not use those but they're still part of the menus etc so to some extent they're always "in the way" - plus I'd still be paying for them."

-- Noted.

"MoneyWiz looks a little clunky, with fuzzy fonts, unnecessarily large text, visual clutter like the huge sync account info box displayed top left, and an ideosyncratic design language that doesn't look that great on my Mac. Squirrel on the other hand just looks really nice."

-- A redesign is coming in MoneyWiz 3.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Hello,

I would love to be able to check my balance of my reconciled transactions on MoneyWiz like I was able to do on Squirrel. Would that be possible in a near feature ?

Thanks in advance

Alexis,

Perhaps what you're missing is Running balance feature? Please go to MoneyWiz Preferences -> General -> Show running balance. Is this what you need?

If you see "-" instead of amounts, it means that the transaction is pending while you've set to display cleared balance only - either clear the transaction or click on the balance box at the bottom to change which balance is displayed.

Hello Pawer,

thanks for your answer.

Since I'm not english native my apologies if I'm not clear enough.

The only thing the option "Preferences -> General -> Show running balance" is doing is to display a new column with the list view. It is not what I need because :

1. I have to use the spreadsheet view to have my "reconcile" checkboxes, and that view has already a balance column.
  2. And on these 2 views this is not the real reconciled balance which because if one of the previous transaction is not reconciled the balance is not impacted in MoneyWiz

I would like to be able to see wherever in the application (on the account list on the left, on the account balance at the bottom of each view, on the balance column, ...) this "reconciled" balance like it was the case in Squirrel :

translation : "Display in the accounts list :"

1. current balance
  2. future balance
  3. reconciled balance
  4. don't display balance

The only workaround I have found today is to manually tag as "pending" (red flag) all non-reconciled transactions to be able to see the correct balance (and tag them back "green flag" when they become reconciled). not really useful for me.

Alexis,

Let's keep the discussion in the other forum topic you've posted in: http://silverwiz.freshdesk.com/discussions/topics/307546/

Login or Signup to post a comment